Monday, January 21, 2013

Iridescent Swirl Nails

Sorry about that title... I'm not really sure what to call these! I went to Ulta yesterday and got the only Essence polish I've ever been interested in: Chic Reloaded. It's a beautiful dark polish that is a greenish-grey at one angle and a plum-like, shimmery purple at another. Kind of reminds me of a scarab beetle. And since my tiger nails chipped so quickly, I was glad to try it out tonight! I started out wearing just the Essence polish by itself, but I figured I could go for some extra oomph. But I didn't want to detract from Chic Reloaded with a crazy design over it, so I decided to go with something simple!


(Sorry for the odd angles, I was trying to get the purple shimmer to show up - these were taken indoors with flash)

I used MASH plate 40 for the swirls and the polish I used for the stamping may surprise you. I have a couple of those Revlon Moon Candy sticks with the double sided polish - looks like this:


I absolutely hate them - the effect would have been nice had the glitter/flaky/whatever polish been executed well. It's clumpy and feels gross on my nails, and yeah. I just don't like them. BUT the one thing they did really well is the creme polish side. I LOVE THEM. They're literally some of the most opaque polishes I've ever used. So for stamping (if I need black polish), I always use the black polish on the end of Revlon's Moon Candy Moon Dust. (I also like the navy blue polish on the end of Galactic.)

I took two sets of pictures because I could not for the life of me get the purple shimmer in this polish to show up (Edit: Funny enough, I took the picture above of the Revlon after I had typed this sentence up and added it in later - the purple showed up the first time. Figures). I tried different angles, different lighting, and different settings on my camera. Nothing was working. But I finally did get some okay pictures of the purple:



The effect is much more dramatic in person. It almost has a Burtonesque feel to it! Kind of. I like it. I wish it came out on camera better though! Like I said in my last post, I hope to beat the day light sometime so I can take pictures outside, because I know those will turn out much better. It seems like I only paint my nails at night nowadays. 
Anyway, until next time, thanks for reading, have a nice day, and happy painting! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment